Monday, August 13, 2012

How our blog got its name. . . . .

I know the title/name of this blog is a little odd, however there is a unique story behind it. As you read, you will see that this family is very special and you will be convinced, like us, that they are destined to be bound to one another for all time. For your reading enjoyment, Teri tells the story perfectly.......

"For years our family has been obsessed with the time 11:11. It started because I seem to always look at the time when it is exactly 11:11. (Ok, always may be a stretch but it happens a lot. Sometimes twice in one day). I even saw on the Jiffy Lube sign last summer as I was sitting at the stop light at 800 North in Orem the time 11:11:11, meaning I looked when it was 11:11 and 11 sec. My family wonders if I am telling the truth about this but it is true! Last year we even had a party on Nov. 11, 2011 (you know 11/11/11) to count down to 11:11 PM. It was like a New Years Party with the countdown, streamers, horns and of course, a kiss. We decorated the house with 11:11 signs everywhere. It was fun!

I didn't know this until recently, but I guess other people think 11:11 is a big deal too and I have heard that people make a wish at 11:11. We have never done that. In our family, 11:11 means kisses. If anyone in the house sees the clock at 11:11, that person alerts everyone by running around yelling "11:11" and we all kiss each other. The rule is that you have to kiss at 11:11. The little kids especially love it if they are in bed and get to come running out of bed to get kisses. How can you get in trouble for getting an 11:11 kiss? You can't. If you aren't home and you see the time then you text other members of the family "11:11 xoxo" or something similar. I can't tell you how many texts I have received from Michalla with 11:11 ILY. It took me a while, because I'm old, to realize that ILY stood for "I Love You". I'm glad I have all those texts from Michalla still on my phone. :)

Anyway, on Monday after being moved from Timpanogos Hospital to Huntsman Cancer Institute and having various texts done, the Dr. said she needed to talk to us and wanted to know who we wanted to have in the room for the news. When they say it like that, of course, you know what the news is going to be. Everyone left the room but Michalla (which couldn't leave her hospital bed but I'm sure wanted to) and Rich and I. The doctor told us that tests had confirmed their suspicions and it was indeed luekemia. While she is explaining all that this entails, Michalla lifts a finger up pointing to something. At first we didn't realize what she was doing but she kept pointing. That is when we realized she was pointing at the clock. The time was 11:11 PM. Rich and I both kissed Michalla on the cheek - one on each side. Then we kissed each other over the bed. The doctor stops her speech and says, "Do you guys need to be some where?" I guess she thought we were kissing good bye or something. We start to laugh and tell her No, we don't need to be anywhere that she can finish her speech. It was nice to kind of break up the seriousness and weight of the moment.

So now 11:11 is even more firmly cemented in our family. I hope it is a good sign that we got the diagnosis at 11:11. I am so happy Michalla saw the time and we got to kiss her sweet face but I am also hoping that just this once it was okay, in addition to kissing, to make a wish too!"

6 comments:

  1. That is a great story! I love it! Now I will think of all of you every time I see 11:11! And I will make a wish for Michalla too!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you started this blog to help keep us all updated! i love the 11:11, thanks for sharing it with all of us! We all love you and are praying for you Michalla!! Love, Aunt Keri and Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't tell you all how much I love you and pray for your hearts to be peaceful.
    What you have shared is so beautiful, so sweet and inspiring ~!
    11:11 WOW just WOW ~!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blog. I'll definitely have to notice 11:11 now and think of the hope that gives me along with my prayers for Michalla and your whole family! We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so grateful for Jim & Jennifer to create this blog. We are sending our positive thoughts and prayers your way and we are glad to feel connected to your needs and successes. We will be wishing twice a day at 11:11 for your cause! Luv, Brent Anderson Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teri,
    Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story. Michalla sounds like an amazingly brave young woman. Please know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers.
    Lots of LOVE!!!!
    Becky Jennings Freeman and family

    ReplyDelete